Tuesday, April 08, 2008

DAD

Last Saturday marked the 7th-year of my dad’s death anniversary, which incidentally falls on the same weekend as “cheng beng.” I was reminded of the song ‘Wake me up when September comes’, which sings…“like my father comes to pass, seven years have gone so fast”. Indeed, how fast time passes us by. Here’s just a little reflection of the man who means so much to me (and my family).

1. Dad is one of the humblest persons I’ve ever known. He never boasts about his successes. He’s a ‘do-er’ rather than a ‘say-er’; a man of little words. He always maintains a low profile, but yet gains the respect of many.

2. Dad is a very handy man; the ‘inspector gadget’ in the family. His skills range from carpentry to electrics to piping, painting and even botanic. If we lose him in the hypermarket, the best bet to locate him would be the hardware section. At the age of 60, he’s still climbing up and down, fixing things along the way. This is something that my siblings and I have yet to fully emulate.

3. Dad cares to do the little things that count for much. He often comes into my room in the middle of the night to reduce the fan speed and pull up my blanket. Even if I am still awake, I would voluntarily allow him to do that. After all, it’s good to feel loved.

4. Dad gives me ample opportunities to develop myself at a very young age. He stresses on all-rounded development and allows me to express myself in an array of activities such as taekwondo, organ, art, badminton and chess. It must have cost him a lot to pay for all the lessons.

5. Dad takes interests in my welfare and delights in my successes. He would come and give his support when I am involved in any sort of competitions and performances, whether it’s public speaking, chess or taekwondo. His very presence makes me feel important. What a child really longs for is to gain the parents attention, and I certainly had the chance to experience that (defying the middle child syndrome).

6. Dad likes to use reverse psychology to challenge and spur me on. Even if I score a 99 for my exams, he would pull my legs and say, “I won’t sign your report card, because you never score a 100”. While he meant it as a joke, I sometimes take it as a challenge to do better.

7. Dad may be small in stature but he has always been my security blanket. With him, I feel safe and protected. He is usually quite composed and exudes a lot of confidence in the midst of calamity.

8. Dad is also quite funny at times. He’s a bad dancer; but yet he likes to entertain us with his badly choreographed moves. Well, the good thing is…it brings laughter to the family.

9. Dad is my most faithful chauffeur (besides mum). Despite having to run a business, he tirelessly fetches me to school, tuition, church and for other extra curricular activities. Complains and grumbles I hardly hear of.

10. Dad works hard to provide for the family. He puts the family above himself. He would willingly spend on us, but for himself, he would not waste a dime.

Here is only a little excerpt of the story of a great man. When dad was called home on the 5th April 2001, he has left behind a lot of things; and so carved the writings on his tombstone…

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger discordant dude said...

bro, until today, i still have dreams of dad. and i still couldn't articulate my thoughts of him and all that have taken place. your post has said so much of what i have wanted to say. 7 years seemed like yesterday, i wish i was there with all of you, on this day of his anniversary as well as on this day 7 years ago...

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger wadefish said...

i miss dad. i feel your post bro. everything you wrote, they are so true. i wish he didnt have to go.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger teandsympathy said...

I think it's a nice testimony to your dad that you managed to take on his character and be who you are today, being a light in other's lives, giving and caring.

Your dad would have been proud of you as well, bro.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger colin said...

Chris: hope you wont blame yourself for not being there 7 years ago. You have taken on the role of a big brother since then, and all of us really look up to you.

Clarence: it must have been hard for you to lose dad at such a young age. But i'm proud to see how much you've grown up since then. I'm sure dad would have been as well.

Eddie: thanks for the encouragement bro! Appreciate that.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that was really really sweet, i think it's really beautiful how great your dad's love is that you can remember it so well even today [:

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger colin said...

Indeed great is his love. Care to intro? I've got a couple of Christines in my list...

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hullo colinCHOONG
(:

thanks for writing that. it blessed me a lot a lot.. i think the love in your family is something very beautiful.

hope you are doing well at work + everything. thanks for continuing to be an encouragement through your life.. walk on (:

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still occasionally think of your father. it's been seven years? time really flies man. all of you kids have done well, so don't beat yourselves up anymore. take care neighbor.

-jy

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger colin said...

Mysterious neighbour...are u miss Ha?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home